msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Jan 5 13:19:28 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 15:08 -0600, Richard Laager wrote:
> 1) Keep the status message when changing statuses (and highlight it in
>    the status box for easy editing).

> 2) Add a checkbox to the complex status editor that says, "Keep existing
>    message on status changes." This checkbox would default to checked
>    and automatically uncheck if something was typed in the message box
>    in that window. (Transient statuses with a message would apply their
>    message, of course.)

Gary and I talked about this on IRC yesterday. He said that saved
statuses should apply exactly as they are. I think that's a good initial
approach. We can #2 here later if this actually affects enough people to
be worth implementing.

> 3) Hide transient statuses that are equivalent to a primitive (which is
>    already shown) plus the current message.

We may want to also hide transient statuses that are a primitive plus
the message that only vary by primitive. In other words, if I have a
transient of "Available - Party tonight!" and one of "Away - Party
tonight!" and I'm current "Away - Partying", we should only show one of
the "Party tonight" statuses in the list.

However, for both of these, I'm not entirely sure how many users this
will really affect. I think getting back the behavior labeled #1 above
is the first thing we need to do and should address the bulk of this.

Richard