msn-pecan now has direct connection support (fast file transfers)

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa at cmi.ac.in
Wed Jan 2 18:09:17 EST 2008

* Quoting Richard Laager who at 2008-01-02 15:08:04-0600 (Wed) wrote
> I propose the following action:
>
> We change Pidgin to keep the status message when changing statuses and
> immediately highlight it in the text entry box. This makes it a snap to

That would be great.

> The only problem with this change is that it makes it more difficult to
> go from a custom "Out to Lunch" status with a message ("I'm gone to
> lunch.") to a custom Available status without a message. You would have
> to open the buddy list to delete the message and couldn't just change
> from the tray icon. If that's unacceptable, then we should add an option
> to the custom status window to determine whether to keep the existing
> message. This could be something you'd have to uncheck to make the
> message text box editable, or it could be something that would
> automatically uncheck if you typed a message. The latter is slightly
> more convenient, but the former is more consistent with other UIs.

Gmail chat handles this by making the status selector have, for each
status, one entry that is "bare" and one that has the same status
message as the one being used currently (they also cache 3 the most
recent SMs).

Of course, it is easy for them to do, as they have only two statuses
(Available and DND), but Pidgin could have this "extra" status for
just the main statuses (Available, Away, DND?), or just Available.

Talking of status messages and remembering them, a history mechanism
for the status message entry area would be a great feature for Pidgin
to have! [Also, this might reduce the need for caching 6 recent
statuses, to make way for the extra statuses suggested above :)]

--
Shreevatsa R