Visual Studio?

Kevin Stange kevin at simguy.net
Tue Jan 22 21:17:02 EST 2008

Kurt Koller wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I saw a thread back in May and June of 2007 that looked like someone was
> attempting to set things up in a way that one could compile libpurple and
> perhaps all of pidgin in Visual Studio.

I believe Nick Hebner listed a simple procedure for "importing" the
project into Visual Studio, but besides making some adjustments to fix
compilation and avoid a crash, I believe no other changes were
introduced at that time.

> Then in July or August there is a request from someone about whether anyone
> has the full setup for Visual Studio, but there was no reply.

I would presume by lack of response that no such environment exists
among people who follow development closely.  The Windows-"friendly"
developers of Pidgin prefer to use MinGW gcc with a shell environment,
so that is the only "supported" method at the moment.  If you are able
to come up with additional files needed for the VS process we can
certainly add them as long as they don't interfere with the normal build
environment terribly.

> I'm curious what the status on that is. I prefer to develop for Windows
> using the VS IDE, no religion or anything. I'd tackle it myself but if some
> or all of the work has been done already I'd rather not be a stooge and do
> it again.

As I said above, I do not believe that anyone is maintaining a working
VS environment for Pidgin or libpurple.  You might want to check for or
open a tracking ticket at developer.pidgin.im and keep us updated there
with your progress and any relevant patches to the build environment.

Kevin