Visual Studio?

Kurt Koller kk at minimalist.com
Tue Jan 22 21:42:26 EST 2008

> I believe Nick Hebner listed a simple procedure for "importing" the
> project into Visual Studio, but besides making some adjustments to fix
> compilation and avoid a crash, I believe no other changes were
> introduced at that time.

Thanks. I saw that, and I saw that some changes were sent back for checkin.
Please see my comment below.

> I would presume by lack of response that no such environment exists
> among people who follow development closely.  The Windows-"friendly"
> developers of Pidgin prefer to use MinGW gcc with a shell environment,
> so that is the only "supported" method at the moment.  If you are able
> to come up with additional files needed for the VS process we can
> certainly add them as long as they don't interfere with the normal
> build
> environment terribly.

I spent about 2 hours trying to get cygwin working on my windows machine,
following the instructions on the site, and that went poorly. I also have a
linux box here (Ubuntu), and it compiles the native version correctly, but
when I installed MinGW, etc on that box, the compile fails. I guess I suck
;)

> As I said above, I do not believe that anyone is maintaining a working
> VS environment for Pidgin or libpurple.  You might want to check for or
> open a tracking ticket at developer.pidgin.im and keep us updated there
> with your progress and any relevant patches to the build environment.

Perhaps I'll just submit a feature request instead. Really what I wanted to
work on was an option to group conversation windows by group, and have the
title of the window (and therefore taskbar name) be the group name.

If I get the Linux cross-compile working, I'll look at it and work on it. I
really want it for myself, but I'd imagine other people would find it useful

Thanks,

Kurt