MSNp14 status?

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:27:20 EST 2008

2008/1/31 Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im>:
> Felipe Contreras spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > > How can we store, on the server, what contact a given buddy is in?
> >
> > I think I didn't explain correctly my suggestion:
> > Whatever the MSN prpl receives from the blist.xml, just drop it.
>
> I'm trying to decide if that's a serious suggestion, or not.  Do you
> mean that MSN buddies should not be able to be placed in contacts,
> have custom buddy icons associated with them, local aliases, etc.?  Or
> are you being facetious?  Or is there a third option I do not
> comprehend?

First, I already explained what I meant by "drop the blist.xml
support", I meant drop that from the prpl. The prpl has absolutely no
knowledge about the custom buddy icons, local aliases. or contact
stuff, so it can't possibly disable that functionality from libpurple.

I didn't suggest to disable that functionality, or at least I didn't mean to.

Currently the MSN prpl "uses" the blist.xml only for synchronization
of buddies and buddies' groups. I suggested to get rid of that usage.

Now, the situation is confusing with the "local alias". As I already
explained over and over again, the "local alias" should be renamed to
"display name"; it doesn't matter the location, that's what you want
to see instead of his nickname.

If you guys decide that the "local alias" stays, along with the
"remove alias" (remotely stored "display name") and the nickname,
that's your business. If the display name can be stored on the server,
I see no reason for the "local alias", the same way a local buddy
doesn't make sense if there's a remote buddy.

A similar thing happens with the "custom buddy icons". Those can be
stored on the server, you can store any kind of "document" AFAIK. So
the question comes again, if you already have a remote custom buddy
icon, why do you want to store it locally? Let's not get into caching,
because that requires proper synchronization with timestamps. Not to
mention that custom buddy icons are a stupid idea, they only make
sense when you buddy doesn't have a buddy icon already and I wonder if
anyone actually uses those.

And about contact information, well, that doesn't have anything to do
with what I tried to propose, I answered too quickly.

Thanks for always assuming good intentions.

--
Felipe Contreras