Monotone analysis

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue Jul 8 16:45:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 23:17 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> = Git recommendation =

Sure monotone is slower, but is it fast enough? Sure the monotone db is
bigger, but is it really that much of a problem? Maybe there are less
tools for monotone, but the extra tools for other DVCSs are worthless if
we don't plan to use them anyway.

While I don't dislike git or anything else, and think that starting with
monotone now is a little silly, I think the important thing here is
whether the cost of switching is worth it. Many of us spent quite a
while to learn monotone already, and it's hard to spend time to learn
something else unless it's clear that there's significant return. Also,
if we switch to X now, should we switch to Y when that becomes _better_?

Pidgin isn't in the business of developing DVCSs. If monotone becomes
not good enough, or if there's a clear winner in the DVCS space, then
ya, maybe it's silly to keep using monotone then.

-khc