Voice and video

Maiku cmaiku at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 19:11:30 EDT 2008

2008/7/18 Birger Brunswiek <birger at brunswiek.org>:
> Hi list,
> I've got 1 to 1.5 days in a week spare and I would like to get involved into
> the development of voice and video support in Pidgin (bug #34 Voice/video
> support). I am particularly interested in supporting voice (and video) in
> XMPP and interoperatibility with Google Talk. I saw that Mike Ruprecht is
> already working on it as a GSoC2008 project.
>
> So far I have looked into Psi and Jabbin and how they support voice in XMPP
> using libjingle (in combination with speex and portaudio). Mike's approach
> using Farsight and Gstreamer seems to look different. Does Farsight also
> compile/work under Windows? That'd be the platform I'll be working on most
> of the time (and maybe a little Debian and Ubuntu).
>
> I haven't actually looked into the im.pidgin.soc.2008.vv branch so far ...
> I'll soon browse the list's archive to find out what's been going on to
> date.
>
> Cheers,
> Birger

Windows is a territory the voice and video branch has yet to venture,
and I don't intend to do much as far as getting it to working there. I
think the biggest trick is going to be figuring out how to install and
compile with the extra dependencies (namely Farsight2 and the
GStreamer plugins). I'm sure Windows users would be quite glad if
you'd be willing to try and get it working there.

If you need anymore information, I'm usually lurking in the Pidgin chatrooms.

Good luck,
-Maiku