Voice and Video GSoC Project

Maiku cmaiku at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 01:23:46 EDT 2008

Yesterday and today have been exciting days on the voice and video
front. Yesterday the first successful audio call through my NAT took
place and today the first successful video call and audio/video call
through my NAT took place. Finally, it can be put to some use and
proper testing.

I haven't quite worked out which codec to use by default, the one it's
using now is kind of garbled. I'll have to test that more. I'm
thinking I ought to revise my work at this point, fix and clean up
what I've got before moving on to adding several more features.

At this point, the audio plays regardless of whether the person is
talking, which means it also plays constant background/white noise. I
think it would help a great deal to have something, perhaps similar to
Teamspeak or other voice conferencing programs, where there's an
adjustable level to where if the volume is below that level, it will
essentially mute. That would definitely help. Alternately, there could
be a button you hold when you talk. I'm not sure if it would be better
to have one, the other, or an option between the two.

I'm curious to hear some feedback on this. Good luck testing.
-Maiku