Pidgin Manual proposal - need some feedback

Dennis 'EvilDennisR' Ristuccia evildennisr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 21:45:40 EDT 2008

Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:15:46 -0400, Dennis 'EvilDennisR' Ristuccia wrote
>>> The main issue I'm thinking of now is revision control and hosting.  I'm
>>> sure LyX has built in support for various revision control systems, but
>>> I'll have to look into it.  As for hosting, would it be possible to get
>>> this hosted on the main Pidgin web site?
>> Anyone have any suggestions for version control for this? Pidgin's
>> existing mtn tree maybe? Seems like this is a different entity than
>> source code, maybe its own tree?
>
> I'm ok with putting this in Pidgin's existing mtn tree.

Sounds good to me..

>> As far as hosting, I think it would be better to get this "off the
>> ground" so to speak before we put anything on pidgins web site. I'm sure
>> once we get the ball rolling and have some content we would be able
>> to put it up on pidgins site no problem.
>
> I agree that it would be good to host the document on the main Pidgin web
> site, and I like the idea of waiting to put it there until it's a little more
> mature.
>
> I've been kind of wondering what the best format is... do you think it would
> be more useful to people as a set of web pages?  Almost like a visual FAQ?
> I'm trying to decide if people are more likely to view a PDF or a web page.
> One benefit of a web page is that it's more accessible to web search engines.

Well from what I've been hearing, the advantages of doing this in lyx is
that it can be exported to html/pdf.

I'd agree that people are more likely to view a webpage vs a pdf
(..atleast I am), but with this apparently we can provide both.

Another useful idea is that we could potentially make pidgin use
something like yelp to display "help". And of course, if(no yelp) {
redirect(manpage_url) }