Pidgin Manual proposal - need some feedback

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Jun 2 21:40:52 EDT 2008

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:15:46 -0400, Dennis 'EvilDennisR' Ristuccia wrote
> > The main issue I'm thinking of now is revision control and hosting.  I'm
> > sure LyX has built in support for various revision control systems, but
> > I'll have to look into it.  As for hosting, would it be possible to get
> > this hosted on the main Pidgin web site?
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for version control for this? Pidgin's
> existing mtn tree maybe? Seems like this is a different entity than
> source code, maybe its own tree?

I'm ok with putting this in Pidgin's existing mtn tree.

> As far as hosting, I think it would be better to get this "off the
> ground" so to speak before we put anything on pidgins web site. I'm sure
> once we get the ball rolling and have some content we would be able
> to put it up on pidgins site no problem.

I agree that it would be good to host the document on the main Pidgin web
site, and I like the idea of waiting to put it there until it's a little more
mature.

I've been kind of wondering what the best format is... do you think it would
be more useful to people as a set of web pages?  Almost like a visual FAQ?
I'm trying to decide if people are more likely to view a PDF or a web page.
One benefit of a web page is that it's more accessible to web search engines.

-Mark