Automatically reconnect accounts signed on elsewhere

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Jun 10 03:47:56 EDT 2008

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:04:53 +0100, Will Thompson wrote
> So, what would people say to the idea of adding a tickybox to Prefs →
> Status/Idle to tell Pidgin to automatically reconnect accounts that were
> disconnected because you signed on elsewhere when you return from idle?
>
> (Perhaps with some n-minute delay to make sure you really are back,
> where n is half the time before you go idle or five minutes
> whichever is the smaller or something?)
> --
> Will

I'm maybe 30% in favor of this and 70% against it.

1. I think it complicates the whole enable/disable thing just a little bit
more, and it seems like it's already pretty difficult for people to figure out.

2. It adds another preference.  It's a neat feature... but the added pref
would reduce the usability of the preference window.  I guess it's a good
example of "feature creep."

3. I can also imagine cases where the feature would get in the way... like if
you signed on in a college computer lab then your roommate bumped into your
desk in your dorm room and nudged your mouse and kicked you offline.

-Mark