Easy Accent support, ie, <CTRL-'>e for é

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Jun 11 21:44:28 EDT 2008

smu johnson spake unto us the following wisdom:
> If there's something I'd love to see in Pidgin, it would be the support to
> do easy accents for languages like French, etc.

Pidgin has great support for combining characters on real platforms
(with appropriate locale and keboard setup), through Gtk+.  It sounds
like the Windows input method for Gtk+, at least by default, is not so
good in your locale.

I don't use Windows, but on X11, you can right-click in any input box
and select an "Input Method"; see if there is one there which looks
likely to behave the way you want.  I don't know of anything which
uses C-' etc. to provide accents, but at the very least there may be
something there which provides a compose key or some dead keys.

In any event, this is something to be handled by the windowing toolkit
(Gtk+), not Pidgin itself.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.