About ProgressReport and msn-pecan

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Jun 12 18:46:47 EDT 2008

Andreas Monitzer spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Jun 13, 2008, at 00:18, John Bailey wrote:
> > The fun part about this particular glib bug is that there were some
> > things that actually depended on the "broken" behavior.  Our IRC
> > plugin happened to be one; we solved the problem by copying the code
> > that behaved properly for IRC into that plugin.  I know there were
> > other cases as well.
>
> I don't quite get how, since IRC predates XML, and thus doesn't use it
> in any way?

IRC doesn't use XML, but libpurple uses g_markup for conversation
markup to be sent to the UI.

> However, that's why you code to a spec, not to a particular
> implementation :)

The nice thing about XML/HTML/g_markup is that the spec is so horrible
and frequently changed that we get to have these bugs anyway!  :-P

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.