About ProgressReport and msn-pecan

CARLOSMERAHORTI at terra.es CARLOSMERAHORTI at terra.es
Fri Jun 13 06:14:46 EDT 2008

John Bailey wrote:
> Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> > On 2008.06.12, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
> >> The problem is that pidgin/purple are compatible all the way back
> >> glib 2.0.0 and iirc we currently supply packages for some distros
that
> >> only support 2.0.0 (stu, correct me if I'm wrong here).
> >
> > This sounds like a really lame explanation.  Pidgin developers
have no
> > qualms about making UI changes, but insist on supporting some
severely
> > outdated dependency like GLib 2.0.0?
>
> We don't all insist on supporting the "stone age," so to speak, but
even those
> of us that support forgetting about the older library versions
realize that it
> will break things for some people.  We have debated the
compatibility thing on
> more than one occasion, and we did finally come to a consensus to
require glib
> 2.4.0 (I think, but it might have been 2.6.0) for 3.0.0.
>
> The problem here is that dropping support for older stuff too soon
is a bad
> idea, and it's particularly difficult to know when "too soon"
actually is.  For
> example, I know a good number of production environments still use
RedHat Linux
> 9.0, even though RedHat no longer supports it.  I have seen first-
hand a number
> of production environments that still use Windows 98, although it's
been
> abandoned by Microsoft for years.  Windows NT 4.0 still has
popularity even
> though it's been abandoned for years too.  (Note that compatibility
with Windows
> 98, ME, and NT4.0 is why we still link against GTK+ and glib 2.6.x--
anything
> newer doesn't work on these old operating systems).

I do not understand why pidgin core developers are supporting
unsupported software, that may even have security related bugs
unfixed,
since that goes against users best interests.

Users should be always using supported software and pidgin should not
encourage using unsupported software. Pidgin is just encouraging
laziness
letting users still work with that old software.

> And to directly address your comment about UI changes, note that we
specifically
> include the source for the GTK+ widgets we need that are not present
in GTK+
> 2.0.0.  UI changes don't mean we have to abandon compatibility.
>
> There *is* value in the logic of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Ahora también puedes acceder a tu correo Terra desde el móvil.
Infórmate pinchando aquí.