About ProgressReport and msn-pecan

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 04:05:17 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:15 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 02:46:34 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
>> > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 01:23:24 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote
>> >
>> > FYI comments like this reduce the likelihood of a "hypothetical merge or the
>> > possibility of contributing directly on the project" (as was suggested in the
>> > blog post you referenced at the beginning of this email thread).
>>
>> Because I think libpurple is far from perfect?
>
> Saying "libpuple is far from perfect" is very different from saying "it's
> uglier, but I guess when you mess with libpurple that's what you are looking
> for anyway."
>
> The former statement is more polite (although still a little rude).  I find
> the latter statement to be pretty offensive.  Impoliteness and disrespect for
> our code are not things that build a healthy open source community.

Well, I'm sorry, but it's true, every single attempt I have made to
improve things has failed. The choice of pretty unpopular DSCM, a
centralized development model, a website that constantly has kittens
(or used to), a mess with header includes, a lack of object-oriented
code, disregard of freedesktop standards, and now an unreasonably old
dependency support.

I've tried to improve things, and I've got impoliteness, offensive
comments and disrespect for my work, and my ideas (when I don't get
ignored). Of course, not from everyone, but still, I don't think this
is a very healthy community anyway.

I'm just saying what is happening; supporting libpurple is making
msn-pecan uglier. I can't wait to put all the libpurple support in a
module, so at least I can contain the ugliness.

And BTW, other people along with being offended would ask for ways to
improve, but that's not the Pidgin way.

--
Felipe Contreras