UPnP in libpurple

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Sun Jun 29 15:41:14 EDT 2008

On Jun 29, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Richard Laager wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 00:51 -0400, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
>> libnatpmp didn't exist in its current, mature form way back when.
>> It's definitely a superior implementation from what I've seen. I
>> fully support replacing the nitty-gritty code in libpurple/natpmp.c
>> with libnatpmp's innards.
>
> If libnatpmp is a real library (which I hope it is), I would prefer we
> use it as such. For backwards compatibility, if libnatpmp is not
> detected by configure, we could keep our existing libpurple/nat-pmp.c
> until 3.0.0.

The source is found here: http://miniupnp.free.fr/files/

It does have a Makefile which produces a library, but it doesn't have
any autoconf or configure goodness, and I don't think it'll be found
any of the major package management systems.  Thinking about it, it
would be indeed better to use it as such, but we may want to include
it in the source tree as we did with libgadu for a long time when that
library was rarely available on systems.

I'm not sure what the usual way of handling this situation is.

-Evan