UPnP in libpurple

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Sun Jun 29 21:58:22 EDT 2008

On Jun 29, 2008, at 9:11 PM, John Bailey wrote:

> Richard Laager wrote:
>> If it's decent and we start using it, that'll hopefully cause it to
>> get
>> packaged. ;)
>>
>> Richard
>
> Can we even use libnatpmp?  Its license requires attribution for all
> redistributions and modifications.

Where do you see that?

> It is, however, significantly less clear on
> terms of simple use, as the copyright notice and permission statement
> requirements aren't clearly linked to or separated from use:
>
> * Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software
> for any
> * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
> above
> * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
>
> I'm not so eager to jump into a new library without a definite OK
> that this is
> GPL-compatible.  I'd prefer to see a 3-clause BSD license or a
> (L)GPL license on
> this code.

MiniUPnP is distributed with a 3-clause BSD license.

libnatpmp, distributed at the same site by the same author, does not
include a LICENSE file.  I have emailed the author to inquire as to
the intended licensing and seek clarification.  I'll let the list know
the results.

Cheers,
Evan