PHPurple 0.1.0 pre-alpha is released

Sascha Vogt FunkyFish at gmx.net
Tue Mar 4 10:14:13 EST 2008

Hi,

I guess, this should have gone to the list, therefor fullquote

Atamurad Hezretkuliyev schrieb:
> I don't think using a library is derivative work of it. If libpurple
> is LGPL, anyone can write proprietary applications using it, sell and
> restrict others from reselling / distributing.
>
> Some projects license their main application in GPL, but some of their
> libraries in LGPL. I don't know if libpurple is GPL or LGPL though.
>
> On 3/4/08, Sascha Vogt <FunkyFish at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Greg Hudson schrieb:
>>> Are you arguing that PHPurple source code is a derivative work of
>>> libpurple?
>> Is it not? If I look into purple.c (packed into
>> phpurple-0.1.0-pre-alpha.tar.bz2, downloaded from SF.net), I can see a
>> lot of libpurple includes. Therefore, from my understanding, it is
>> clearly a derivative work.
a) If using means linking, then it's derivative work. That's clearly
stated in the GPL afaik.

b) Yes, some projects release their libs as LGPL, but as previously
stated by the core devs, this is not the case for Pidgin (and they
explained the why too).

So to sum up: Nothing new. We're just discussing facts any of us already
knows. I guess we'll end it here

Greetings
-Sascha-