PHPurple 0.1.0 pre-alpha is released

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 4 12:25:11 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 09:39 +0100, Sascha Vogt wrote:
> > Are you arguing that PHPurple source code is a derivative work of
> > libpurple?
> Is it not? If I look into purple.c (packed into
> phpurple-0.1.0-pre-alpha.tar.bz2, downloaded from SF.net), I can see a
> lot of libpurple includes. Therefore, from my understanding, it is
> clearly a derivative work.

The source code is not.  Any resulting binaries are.  Distributing
PHPurple source code under a GPL-incompatible license would raise a
contributory infringement issue.  Distributing it under a GPL-compatible
license is fine (though, as people have observed, pointless since any
binaries using PHPurple are necessarily using libpurple and therefore
constrained by the terms of the GPL).

This ends my participation in this thread.  I think a little more
precision about the legalities of the GPL is a fine thing, but overall
it's a distraction from Pidgin development.