Yahoo 's msn interoperability

Eric Richie edr1084 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:50:44 EDT 2008

2008/3/18 Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com>:

> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 19:06 +0530, Sulabh Mahajan wrote:
> > Since windows live id can be any email id registered with msn, yahoo
> > prpl must have ability to add any type of email address as msn buddy.
> > Unfortunately there is no good method of differentiating between ids
> > while adding them as buddy, not without modifying the UI for letting
> > know the library which network the id belongs to.
>
> Does Yahoo allow arbitrary domain IDs? I thought that Yahoo IDs were
> like "rlaager" whereas MSN IDs are "rlaager at example.com". If that's the
> case, differentiating them is trivial.

Yes unfortunately they do allow other things.  For instance with Adium we
had trouble with @sbcglobal.net addresses (the accounts were sold with yahoo
services bundled and use the entire email address as the username.)  We put
up a blog post about it in case anyone is actually interested. (
http://www.adiumx.com/blog/2008/02/yahoo-breakage-in-122.php )

-Eric