GSoC idea : WebPurple platform

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Mar 19 15:06:53 EDT 2008

Witold Slizowski wrote:
> Orphis wrote:
>> [snip]
>> With today enterprise firewalls becoming more and more restrictive,
>> using some IM client while at work (for development purpose with remote
>> co-workers obviously) as become quite difficult.
>> (...)
>> firewall they've used blocked every outbound connection if it wasn't
>> initiated on port 80, in other words for the HTTP protocol. That's why I
>> think there is a need for a web messaging platform.
>> [snip]
>
> Do not you think it would be easier just to find any jabber server that
> works on the port 80? (for example http://www.jabber80.com ). But I am
> not sure if those services use "classic" XMPP connections working on
> different port or maybe HTTP binding that would be much more difficult
> to block on firewalls...

Jabber80.com uses classic XMPP-over-TCP, but on port 80 instead of 5222.
Isn't that nice of them? :)

However, I think that the HTTP binding (XEP-0124) is the way to go for
such services. Unfortunately it's not widely deployed yet on public XMPP
servers, but that may change soon (e.g., we plan to deploy it soon at
the jabber.org service).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre