GSoC idea : WebPurple platform

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Wed Mar 19 23:41:50 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 19:08 +0100, Orphis wrote:
> The platform would be separated in 3 parts :
> - the main software using libpurple in C
> - the client side DHTML site using Javascript
> - a message broker that would connect the two above

Overall I think this proposal is a good idea. I have some doubts about
the scoop of this project and whether it can be finished in a summer, so
maybe you want to limit it a little, or put down what you think will get
done in the summer on the application.

> As I see it, the Jetty web server will be used to host all the DHTML

> It also has a BayeuxService which is a JSON protocol for publish and

> subscribe event delivery. The Bayeux protocol has good support in the

I also have some reservation about pulling in big dependencies. Dojo is
probably okay, but I imagine others will want to run this on a webserver
of their choice.

> The last think to do would be to establish a communication layer between
> the libpurple based server and the jetty server. A first solution would
> be to use a simple protocol between the message broker and the purple
> server programmed in Java and C. A second solution is to implement some
> C Bayeux layer the server could use to connect to the message broker and
> then dispatch and fetch the messages from.

It may be possible to just use DBus.

> The aim of the project would be to do the basic setup for all the three
> parts I've mentionned.
>  - As a new UI is already a lot for a three months job, doing a full
> featured web based IM client seems impossible. That's why I only aim for
> some basic features : connecting to some network using the user
> credentials, displaying the buddy list and sending and receiving
> messages. I don't promise the UI to be a piece of (graphical) art but
> since there's a lot more work to do on the project, that's only fair. I
> expect to work at most 2 weeks on it.

Oh good. Maybe I should read the entire email before responding.

-khc