GSoC idea : WebPurple platform

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 00:45:21 EDT 2008

* Orphis had this to say on [19 Mar 2008, 19:08:43 +0100]:
[snip]
> That's why, I'd like to submit an idea for approval : creating an open
> source messaging web platform based on libpurple. This platform would
> only use HTTP communication to bypass the firewalls settings and no
> special software (no java or flash object), all the client coding would
> have to be DHTML (HTML, ECMAscript and then "Ajax" solutions).

A similar application was submitted last year, which we ended up not
accepting. Andrey (the applicant) implemented it (or some large parts of
it) anyway. I used it a couple of times during the early stages of
its development, and it worked well enough. There are some screenshots
available at http://kostenko.name/?page_id=15. There's also
http://code.google.com/p/webpidgin/, but the source doesn't seem to be
available, yet. May be if we ask him nicely, Andrey will make the code
available ;)

For SoC projects, I personally prefer proposals that are so outrageously
large and crazy that no one will attempt to do, or no one can afford to
do, on one's own time. I think such proposals should be encouraged (of
course, the applicant needs to convince the mentors that it's doable, to
a large extent, during the summer).

Sadrul