Video and VoIP project idea - gSOC questions

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Mar 20 03:19:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 01:31:42 -0400, Nikita Pchelin wrote
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in working on the "Implementing videoconference and
> VoIP" project, as outlined on the FutureSOCProjects page;

Great!

>  i've got several questions about it:
>
> 1. Has any work been done on the project, or is it meant to be
> started from scratch?

Some work has been done in the im.pidgin.pidgin.vv branch of our source
repository.  See http://developer.pidgin.im/ for information on how to access
that to see the status.  You'll have to learn how to use Monotone... but if
you'll have to learn that anyway if you want to work on a Summer of Code
project for us.  There's also some information and recent activity at
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/34

> 2. Are there any guidelines to the project (i.e. what do you want to
> see implemented by the end of the summer).

That's really up to the student to decide.  I think the project should at
least require the student to have voice support for XMPP working flawlessly,
but that's probably not enough for a full summer.  I don't know the status of
the current code, so you'd probably want to investigate before submitting an
application.  Maybe check that branch out of our repository and try it out and
see how well it works?

-Mark