2.4.1 Release Schedule

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Mar 25 03:58:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:08:31 -0400, Etan Reisner wrote
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 09:12:31PM -0400, Stu Tomlinson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:09 -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> > > Someone in devel at c.p.i suggested we release tomorrow or the day after,
> > > and then release 2.4.3 after a more "normal" string freeze regardless of
> > > any changes or lack there of.  its a micro release, so no real reason
> > > not to release really frequently.  If we are worried about regressions,
> > > we could even branch 2.4.x off so that head could be 2.5.x, and declare
> > > 2.4.x bug fixes only.
> >
> > I would prefer that we announce a string freeze now, an make a proper
> > release, instead of this. Translations updates should not be counted as
> > a 2nd class citizen to code updates. And releases have a non-zero cost
> > in terms of time.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Stu.
> Actually my take on this was quite the opposite, I was fervently hoping
> that nothing would change between the release 2.4.1 and the time for a
> 2.4.2 *other* than translation updates so that we could both attempt 
> to quicken our release schedule again as well as indicate that we consider
> translation updates important enough for a real release.
> Are there things we can do to make the release process easier and quicker?
> I confess to being entirely oblivious as to what exactly goes in to
> creating a pidgin release but I think that a large reason of why we are
> loathe to release early and release often is that the effort 
> involved in the release process is non-trivial for at least a couple 
> of us.
> I'm not wedded to my suggestion as reported above it just seemed 
> like a good way to get 2.4.1 out the door as quickly as possible 
> while simultaneously attempting to jumpstart the process of ironing 
> out what bugs might remain in the input area, without negatively 
> affecting the translation percentages (a statistic I believe a 
> number of our translators and users are proud of and accustomed to).

I agree with Stu, I think it would be better to wait a week and just have one
release with bug fixes+translation updates.  It's already been almost a month
since 2.4.0, I think waiting another week should be ok.

Another benefit not mentioned is that it's less of a hassle for users to just
have to update once, instead of updating twice in quick succession.

I guess I'll announce a string freeze regardless of the outcome of this
discussion.  Who knows, maybe by the time we decide whether to have one
release or two all the translations will have been updated? :-)


More information about the Devel mailing list