2.4.1 Release Schedule

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Mar 25 13:22:44 EDT 2008

Etan Reisner wrote:
> Are there things we can do to make the release process easier and quicker?
> I confess to being entirely oblivious as to what exactly goes in to
> creating a pidgin release but I think that a large reason of why we are
> loathe to release early and release often is that the effort involved in
> the release process is non-trivial for at least a couple of us.

There is a significant time cost for Stu, at least, with generating RPMs.  Last
I heard him mention them, there were something on the order of 90+ RPMs per
release, which he has to build, upload to Sourceforge, and screw with in the
file release system.  The file release system is poorly designed and torture to
use, and this probably makes working with it the most time-consuming part of the
RPM release process.  There are a few tools that help, but it's still effort
that could be best spent elsewhere.

John