2.4.1 Release Schedule

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Tue Mar 25 17:00:23 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:22 -0400, John Bailey wrote:
> Etan Reisner wrote:
> > Are there things we can do to make the release process easier and quicker?
> > I confess to being entirely oblivious as to what exactly goes in to
> > creating a pidgin release but I think that a large reason of why we are
> > loathe to release early and release often is that the effort involved in
> > the release process is non-trivial for at least a couple of us.
>
> There is a significant time cost for Stu, at least, with generating RPMs.  Last
> I heard him mention them, there were something on the order of 90+ RPMs per
> release, which he has to build, upload to Sourceforge, and screw with in the
> file release system.  The file release system is poorly designed and torture to
> use, and this probably makes working with it the most time-consuming part of the
> RPM release process.  There are a few tools that help, but it's still effort
> that could be best spent elsewhere.

I was actually discounting the time I spend making RPMs in the release
process, because that's just something that I am foolish enough to
provide, and can be delayed from the main release if necessary.

Aside from that though, spinning a release does take some time. The
steps are outlined at http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ReleaseProcess but
it's a bit out of date (the RPM creation process I use is nothing like
that), and excludes anything Daniel has to do to make the Windows
builds.

Regards,

Stu.