SoC: MSN direct file transfer

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Thu Mar 27 02:57:32 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:15 +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> >  No. Just file transfer by itself is too small of a task to be considered
> >  SoC worthy.
>
> Is it so?
>
> There's the case when the remote end is behind a firewall, when the
> local end is behind a firewall, multiply by 2 since it depends which
> end started the transmission, and then there's UPnP.
>
> Apparently there's also TURN, and possibly other methods I'm not aware of.
>
> This change enables direct connection transfers on msn-pecan (only
> when the other end is reachable and we start the connection AFAICR):
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/felipec/purple-msn-pecan.git;a=commitdiff;h=870d4d1b9da01c481e4df1477215802bdbd49419
>
> Without the previous work on that, the changes would have been bigger.

One of the first GSoC students worked on file transfer with official ICQ
clients and UPnP issues (at least on the oscar side), where he actually
had to implement some of the protocol side. I didn't know how complete
your direct connection work is, and I had the impression that it's
mostly working, which is why I didn't think that's enough work to
warrant SoC.

However, I think working on improving our proxy code and auto detection
around firewall would be a great SoC subject, with or without involving
file transfer.

-khc