adding one feature to ping on line users when I log in

Mayank Jain Nawal mayank at in.niksun.com
Thu May 1 13:44:11 EDT 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 10:43:11 pm Etan Reisner wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:04:15AM +0530, Mayank Jain Nawal wrote:
> > Dear Pidgin Devel Team,
> >
> > I am interested to add one small feature in pidgin according to which
> > when I log in to my pidgin it will automatically send message to all the
> > on line persons in my friend list, like sending Good Morning to all the
> > persons in my friend list with there alias name which I have set for
> > them. I have discussed this feature with some of my friends this seams
> > interested to them too. Hope same for you too.
> >
> > Can any body assist me and tell me how to start with.
> > Thanks
> > Regards
> > Mayank Jain
>
> A plugin could be written to do this, it would just need to listen to the
> signed-on connection signal, call purple_find_buddies(account, NULL) to
> get the list of buddies, and then send them each a message.
>
> But I think this would incredibly quickly get very annoying (especially if
> anyone using this plugin has a poor network connection, or if you give
> your friend an alias they may not know about or you may not want to share
> with them).
>
>     -Etan

Dear Etan,

Thanks for your suggestions. We can introduce some amount of delay before
sending message to every user(this can be helpful for users having poor
network connection).

For your second concern about alias one have to take care of before using such
plugin. There must be a warning message like be careful about your alias
name. Can any one comment on this issue?