adding one feature to ping on line users when I log in

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Thu May 1 13:55:42 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 11:14:11PM +0530, Mayank Jain Nawal wrote:
<snip>
> Dear Etan,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. We can introduce some amount of delay before
> sending message to every user(this can be helpful for users having poor
> network connection).

That's not going to help with the issue at all. I wasn't assuming the poor
connection meant the user would connect and then immediately disconnect. I
was assuming the poor connection meant that during the course of a day the
user would disconnect and reconnect a handful of times. With this plugin
each reconnect would trigger a new batch of automated messages. That would
quickly get tiresome. (Especially if you aren't even at the computer when
that happens.)

> For your second concern about alias one have to take care of before using such
> plugin. There must be a warning message like be careful about your alias
> name. Can any one comment on this issue?

You certainly could put up warnings, but people are really good at not
reading, not understanding, and not thinking about warnings. I just think
you are setting people up for errors and annoying their friends. I also
really don't see what the point of such a plugin would be. Why would you
want to automatically greet everyone in your buddy list every day, greet
people when you need to actually talk to them.

> --
> Regards
> Mayank Jain Nawal

The pidgininc.c plugin in the pidgin/plugins/ directory of the source does
something rather close to this as one of its *fantastic* *magical*
features. I'd forgotten about it since we don't build it by default.

    -Etan