Buddy labels was Search IM Buddies

David K. Bainbridge davidk.bainbridge at gmail.com
Sat May 3 21:04:58 EDT 2008

Thanks Stephen, Control+M does seem to do what I want, although I am not
a fan of dialog windows as a UI mechanism.

So taking this back to a labels on buddies ...

Has anyone given any real thought to this idea. The best I can think of
is adding labels in a similar fashion to aliases (i.e., you can specify
then when you add a buddy or have a menu item to edit labels. I suspect
entry of labels must allow you to select one or more labels which have
already been defined as well as dynamically create new ones. The ability
edit the existing labels (delete, create, etc) separate from working
with a buddy would probably be required as well.

As far as using, it might be that tags create "dynamic" group chats
which are shown in the buddy list (one chat group per label) or a group
can be specified based on labels. Not sure how x-protocol chats might work.

Using the Control+M search for labels would be good as well. This would
allow a filter type capability for buddies with one or more label.

I suspect this is not a capability that could be added via the plug-in
API, but then as a newbie I may be completely incorrect.

Thoughts?

cheers,
/dkb