pidgin.next.minor: f00a8560: Use up the last padding for PurplePlugin...

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue May 6 02:59:18 EDT 2008

2008/5/5 Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>:
> Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
>
>  <snip>
>

>  > This has been previously discussed:
>  > http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2007-July/001999.html (the thread
>  > started at http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2007-July/001983.html).
>  >
>  > As a sidenote, this also has existed in the .vv branch for a while (from
>  > rev 6b6656ec).
>  >
>  > Sadrul
>  >

>  I'm not debating whether or not this is the best way to expand the
>  structures without bumping the major.  I am however asking if this is
>  something we want to do.
>
>  The fact that it's been in the vv branch for a while now seems like
>  nothing more than a red herring to me.  I mean vv is going to be a major
>  bump.  Theres no reason we can't add everything we need, and then add
>  some obscene number of reserved slots.
>
>  Also, the fact that we're even looking at this, to me, says that we
>  don't want to follow the rules we all agreed to about our versioning.  I
>  mean, if we need to add another member and don't have room, is there any
>  reason feature X is that important that we need to work around a our own
>  rules, and that just seems silly to me.

Indeed, this seems to be breaking your own rules; if you need changes
on the structures, do a major version bump.

If you really plan to support different structures at the same time
you might want use a version field instead of the has_func function;
it's less messy and more efficient.

However, if you plan to use GObject then all this is unnecessary since
you can use interfaces for that.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras