problem with pidgin

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue May 6 04:46:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, 05 May 2008 12:00:08 -0700, Ka-Hing Cheung wrote
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 10:34 -0500, Casey Harkins wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 14:05 -0600, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> > > I have a slight problem with pidgin in the split seconds as I'm
> > > closing pidgin if I get a message I'll never know about it. I know I
> > > can turn on logging of messages but is there a way to have it remember
> > > what conversations where open when it exits and reopen those windows?
> >
> > I have a vague recollection of a feature request (I think on sf.net, not
> > trac) to prompt when closing pidgin when there are unread messages,
> > precisely to deal with this situation. Obviously it was never
> > implemented. What do others think about such a feature? This would also
> > be fairly trivial to implement as a plugin.
>
> I think it should be built-in.

Yeah, built-in, totally.  I think the real question is whether we should
re-open the windows when Pidgin is started next, or prompt the user that they
have unread messages and ask if they really really want to quit.

I think prompting is a better choice, as long as it isn't too obnoxious.  I'd
vote for trying it and seeing how annoying it is.  Pros:
* Easier to implement.
* Shows the user their possibly time-sensitive IMs sooner rather than later.
* I think users are more familiar with this behavior, which would make it more
natural and less confusing.

-Mark