Privacy and messaging handles within XMPP conferences

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Wed May 21 15:15:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:35:16AM -0400, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
<snip>
> What do y'all think about changing PURPLE_PRIVACY_ALLOW_BUDDYLIST  and
> PURPLE_PRIVACY_ALLOW_USERS to iterate on all conversations after
> following their current logic, implicitly allowing any open
> conversation to continue?
>
> -Evan

As far as I'm concerned having client-side privacy support is a bug and
isn't something we should ever have added. As such, I think the solution
here is to remove it from the core and let a plugin do it, then the plugin
can be made to do anything we want (including this emminently reasonable
suggestion).

Alternatively, we could add a prpl callback for privacy checking (and not
switch on the ability to control the privacy list in general) and then
have XMPP implement such a function looking for chat room buddies
specifically and falling back to the core version (assuming we keep the
core version) if it doesn't.

	-Etan