Privacy and messaging handles within XMPP conferences

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed May 21 16:29:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 15:15:53 -0400, Etan Reisner wrote
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:35:16AM -0400, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> <snip>
> > What do y'all think about changing PURPLE_PRIVACY_ALLOW_BUDDYLIST  and
> > PURPLE_PRIVACY_ALLOW_USERS to iterate on all conversations after
> > following their current logic, implicitly allowing any open
> > conversation to continue?
> >
> > -Evan
>
> As far as I'm concerned having client-side privacy support is a bug and
> isn't something we should ever have added. As such, I think the solution
> here is to remove it from the core and let a plugin do it, then the plugin
> can be made to do anything we want (including this emminently reasonable
> suggestion).

Really?  What if someone on IRC harasses you by messaging you once a minute
until the end of time?  Or even once an hour?  You don't think people should
be able to ignore those messages?

The official Yahoo! client has a client-side "ignore people not on my buddy
list" option.  I think this an entirely reasonable feature to have.  You're
saying that it's a bug?

-Mark