Privacy and messaging handles within XMPP conferences

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed May 21 16:54:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:26:32 -0400, Etan Reisner wrote
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:29:53PM -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> <snip>
> > Really?  What if someone on IRC harasses you by messaging you once a minute
> > until the end of time?  Or even once an hour?  You don't think people should
> > be able to ignore those messages?
>
> No, I'm saying, as I've always said, that such a feature belongs in
> a plugin.

I don't think we're going to be able to convince each other, but I definitely
think client-side blocking should be a core part of any IM client.  I think a
large percentage of our users benefit from client-side blocking and relegating
it to a plugin would be a bad usability decision.  I see it as a requirement
for our privacy support to be considered "complete."

-Mark