Privacy and messaging handles within XMPP conferences

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Wed May 21 16:26:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:29:53PM -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
<snip>
> Really?  What if someone on IRC harasses you by messaging you once a minute
> until the end of time?  Or even once an hour?  You don't think people should
> be able to ignore those messages?

No, I'm saying, as I've always said, that such a feature belongs in a plugin.

> The official Yahoo! client has a client-side "ignore people not on my buddy
> list" option.  I think this an entirely reasonable feature to have.  You're
> saying that it's a bug?

I'm saying implementing that feature *in the client* is a bug. If the
"ignore people not on my buddy list" option in the official Yahoo! client
sets the server-side privacy setting to something that causes the server
to ignore people for us we should have it. If the official client does it
client-side see my answer to your other question.

> -Mark

	-Etan