Privacy and messaging handles within XMPP conferences

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Thu May 22 06:51:04 EDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Etan Reisner wrote:

> Alternatively, we could add a prpl callback for privacy checking
> (and not
> switch on the ability to control the privacy list in general) and then
> have XMPP implement such a function looking for chat room buddies
> specifically and falling back to the core version (assuming we keep
> the
> core version) if it doesn't.

I like this, and I think it's actually the reason that this is more
suited to core functionality than a plugin.  A plugin could check the
prpl id and use per-prpl logic, but that'd feel pretty dirty to me.
Implementing it as a prpl callback with a core, basic implementation
to be called by the prpl if desired is quite clean.  Both options Etan
proposed would implicitly change the behavior that the core's privacy
filtering is only used if the prpl has *no* idea of privacy... because
*some* idea of privacy may not be the same granularity or the same
behavior we want to implement in a protocol-independent fashion across
libpurple.

I think the core implementation should still check open
conversations... XMPP would add chat room buddies to that list.

-Evan