soc.2008.vv: 8222acab: Require gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 for ...

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed May 28 03:17:29 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Maiku <cmaiku at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We already check for libxml-2.0 and gstreamer-0.10 separately. I don't
>>> like the idea of having those checks duplicated. You should probably
>>> move the gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 in with gstreamer. If you want to
>>> require all of these for -vv support, I'd recommend you add a separate
>>> chunk in configure.ac to check that all of those are present and define
>>> HAVE_VV or something.
>>
>> Actually pkg-config checks for a module and all it's dependencies,
>> there's no need to specify all of them.
>>
>> Which makes sense, so you don't have to update your checks if they
>> decide to drop a dependency.
>>
>> So I think HAVE_FARSIGHT is ok.
>>
>> Best regards.
>>
>> --
>> Felipe Contreras

> gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 isn't a hard dependency of Farsight
> itself, but it is required for the conference and transmitter objects
> we're using. So pkg-config doesn't fail if it's missing in this
> instance.
>
> I like the idea of not having the voice and video variable be entirely
> specific to Farsight, even though it would be unlikely that we'd use
> something other than Farsight anytime soon. I'm for doing as rlaager
> suggested in addition to changing the preprocessor conditions in the
> code using USE_FARSIGHT to something like HAVE_VV or USE_VV.

Yeah, but GStreamer is a pluggable framework; the fact that you don't
have gst-plugins-base-0.10 at compilation-time doesn't mean you won't
have them at run-time (perhaps the user choose to install them after
noticing something is missing). Or the functionality can be supplied
by something else, using Codeina for example.

Perhaps even the whole farsight stuff can be checked at run-time instead.

I think it's ok to have USE_VV if you also have a separate
HAVE_FARSIGHT, if it makes sense to have empty vv backbones when
farsight is not available. Could definitely help future vv frameworks
as you say.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras