soc.2008.vv: 8222acab: Require gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 for ...

Maiku cmaiku at gmail.com
Wed May 28 01:32:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/27 Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com>:
>> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 01:10 -0400, maiku at soc.pidgin.im wrote:
>>> -     PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FARSIGHT, [farsight2-0.10], [
>>> +     PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FARSIGHT, [farsight2-0.10 gstreamer-0.10 gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 libxml-2.0], [
>>
>> We already check for libxml-2.0 and gstreamer-0.10 separately. I don't
>> like the idea of having those checks duplicated. You should probably
>> move the gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 in with gstreamer. If you want to
>> require all of these for -vv support, I'd recommend you add a separate
>> chunk in configure.ac to check that all of those are present and define
>> HAVE_VV or something.
>
> Actually pkg-config checks for a module and all it's dependencies,
> there's no need to specify all of them.
>
> Which makes sense, so you don't have to update your checks if they
> decide to drop a dependency.
>
> So I think HAVE_FARSIGHT is ok.
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Felipe Contreras

gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 isn't a hard dependency of Farsight
itself, but it is required for the conference and transmitter objects
we're using. So pkg-config doesn't fail if it's missing in this
instance.

I like the idea of not having the voice and video variable be entirely
specific to Farsight, even though it would be unlikely that we'd use
something other than Farsight anytime soon. I'm for doing as rlaager
suggested in addition to changing the preprocessor conditions in the
code using USE_FARSIGHT to something like HAVE_VV or USE_VV.