Enabling Logging By Default (Was: Re: Pidgin usability look on the web)

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sun Nov 9 20:36:40 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 13:25 -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> if we choose to start storing this sort of
> information without user acceptance.

Would you prefer something like this?

| Save message?                             |
| Would you like to save this conversation? |
| [X] Do the same for future conversations. |
|                       [Don't Save] [Save] |

The wording is certainly up for discussion. So anyhow, if you click
"Save," it enables logging and logs the current conversation. If you
click "Don't Save", the window closes. I would suggest that, by default,
we save the user's answer. If they uncheck that box, we would leave that
box unchecked in future instances of that dialog, effectively adding a
feature where people could choose conversation-by-conversation.

If privacy is the objection, I would much prefer this option. If this
message isn't strong enough, we could easily add something like: "This
conversation will be saved forever (unless you delete it later) and can
be read by anyone who has access to your computer."

Richard