Jabber Error reading XML Data

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Mon Sep 1 11:29:11 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 19:12, Jens Franik <jens_ at gmx.de> wrote:

> Guten Tag pidgin,
>
> Pidgin 2.5.1
> connecting to jabber.org i always often get "Error Reading XML Data" and
> the Connection drops right after establishing.
>
> Google Talk is working fine with Protocol XMPP and Hab.la is working on
> XMPP too - only jabber makes Problems.
>
> This has been a problem in recent Versions too - should i connect to
> another Server of Jabber (Server Problem jabber.org) or is there
> anything i could do in Pidgin Config?

"bad XML" and a disconnect ... This isn't similar to the Adium-1.2.6 "bad
XML" issue, is it?

http://adiumx.com/blog/2008/07/adium-126-xmpp-jabber-failures/
http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/JM-1421

Note that I'm saying Adium might be seeding bad data on your server; I'm not
saying that an Adium problem affects Pidgin, nor that an Openfire issue
automatically affects Jabber!  :) Might be similar, might not.  It would be
worth checking whether you have some evil Adium-1.2.6 on your network.
(1.2.5 and before, 1.2.7 and after don't cause the issue)

Allan