[Adium-devl] libpurple: personal message != status message

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 01:21:37 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Peter Hosey <boredzo at adiumx.com> wrote:
> On 2008-09-10, at 16:49, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:07 AM, Peter Hosey <boredzo at adiumx.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Once they figure out that status message = personal message. …
>>
>> Really? That's like saying the Alias (private alias) and the
>> Nickname (public alias) are the same thing. Yes, the end result is
>> the same, but conceptually they are different, so their behavior is
>> different.
>
> And our users often confuse them, calling the display name the alias
> or vice versa.

That's because Pidgin never really fully embraced the public alias
(nickname). Still, some people understand them, and protocols like WLM
have both.

Do you seriously think there should only be one field for that?

>> Have you read my explanation about why this is not protocol-
>> specific? Field A vs Field B?
>

> I read it, but I don't understand it. Are you saying that both MSN and
> XMPP have both a status message and a personal message? If so, what is
> the personal message for?

I am saying that some people use XMPP's status message to store
*something* that is not related to the status at all.

--
Felipe Contreras