[Adium-devl] libpurple: personal message != status message

Peter Hosey boredzo at adiumx.com
Thu Sep 11 02:04:40 EDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 22:21:37, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Peter Hosey <boredzo at adiumx.com>
> wrote:
>> On 2008-09-10, at 16:49, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> That's like saying the Alias (private alias) and the Nickname
>>> (public alias) are the same thing. Yes, the end result is the
>>> same, but conceptually they are different, so their behavior is
>>> different.
>>
>> And our users often confuse them, calling the display name the
>> alias or vice versa.
>
> That's because Pidgin never really fully embraced the public alias
> (nickname). Still, some people understand them, and protocols like
> WLM have both.
>
> Do you seriously think there should only be one field for that?

They're different things. The Alias is set by people viewing a
contact, whereas the Display Name is set by the contact being viewed.

Compare to the personal message and status message, which are both set
by the same person.

> I am saying that some people use XMPP's status message to store
> *something* that is not related to the status at all.

And that they should be able to put that value in a separate personal-
message field instead?