[Adium-devl] libpurple: personal message != status message

Peter Hosey boredzo at adiumx.com
Thu Sep 11 02:22:01 EDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 23:07:03, Richard Laager wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 08:21 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> That's because Pidgin never really fully embraced the public alias
>> (nickname). Still, some people understand them, and protocols like
>> WLM have both.
>
> If another protocol has the same thing, I wouldn't be opposed to
> handling this in libpurple. If this is MSN-centric, then it can be
> handled by the prpl as an account action (as it is now).
>
> Is there another protocol that has a similar thing?

My understanding is that MSN's “friendly name” and most other
protocols' “display name” are exactly the same thing. Certainly it
is in our Account Editor (setting the Display Name field sets the
friendly name).

In the dark days of P9, Adium had an option, on by default, to use the
display name/friendly name for the user's status message, because
there was no better place to put it back then. *shudder*