XMPP, Connect Server, and SRV

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Sep 18 11:35:40 EDT 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Ethan Blanton wrote:
>> Bron Gondwana spake unto us the following wisdom:
>>> My idea of the correct behaviour is:
>>>
>>> a) if an explicit server name is specified, use that always
>>> b) otherwise, lookup up the _jabber._tcp or _xmpp-client._tcp for the
>>>    domain part of the username.
>>> c) finally, try the A record for the domain part.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure this is the *current* behavior, unless I misunderstand
>> you.
>
> Hmm, it seems that I don't have a) captured in the specs yet:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-06.html#tcp-resolution

OK, I just added the following text to my working copy:

    Note: If the initiating entity has been explicitly configured to
    associate a particular hostname (and potentially port) with the
    original hostname of the receiving entity (say, to "hardcode" an
    association between an original hostname of example.net and a
    configured hostname and of webcm.example.com:80), the initiating
    entity SHALL use the configured name instead of the original name
    when following the resolution process described above.

Does that explain scenario (a) more clearly?

Peter