Pidgin Ubuntu PPA

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Apr 16 21:03:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 00:20 -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> At long last, I've managed to package (i.e. backport from Jaunty) Pidgin
> 2.5.5 for Ubuntu Dapper, Gutsy, Hardy, and Intrepid.

I've just uploaded new versions with two Ubuntu patches removed. One was
to hide the docklet by default, which is not appropriate for anything
earlier than Jaunty. The other was to fight the GNOME focus stealing
prevention harder; there were reports of it causing Pidgin to get pinned
to all workspaces.

I'm also looking for feedback on which versions I should support in the
PPA. Gutsy's (security, etc.) support ends in two days. Dapper's support
on the desktop has or will end soon.

Here's a candidate policy: At each Pidgin release, I build packages for
all Ubuntu releases currently supported (by Ubuntu/Canonical) on the
*desktop*. I also remove any out-of-date Pidgin packages in the PPA.

In this case, that'd mean I leave 2.5.5 for Dapper & Gutsy until our
next release, at which time I'd remove it. The other supported Ubuntu
releases would get 2.6.0 at that time.

I'm tentatively thinking that I will NOT backport the -vv dependencies.
If someone else wants to take that on, I'm not opposed, but it seems
like more work than necessary.

Richard