Skype Protocol Plugin

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Apr 28 21:48:57 EDT 2009

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Here's what I think we're going to decide, if you agree feel free to
> just +1 and we can keep this discussion short:
> * Strictly speaking the plugin is legally OK (although only a court
> could have the final say).
> * The plugin violates the "spirit" of our license, because it's
> basically a way for people to utilize proprietary code from our
> software.

I would say, rather:

* There is an argument which is not entirely without merit that the
  plugin is legally OK (although only a court could have the final
  say).  Because it is entirely useless without the closed-source
  Skype binary, I'm not sure I agree.
* Regardless of this, the plugin violates the spirit of our license,
  because it's basically a way for people to use code bearing an
  odious license from our software.

For me, it's not about the closed nature of the software, it's about
the particularly horrible Skype license.

Your language may be closer to consensus, I don't know.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.