Trac Reports

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Apr 28 15:11:35 EDT 2009

I noticed on Adium's Trac that they have a report to show the top 10 tickets by
votes (they're also using the voting system plugin).  I was thinking this might
be useful to see since there appears not to be a reasonable way to collect
statistics about the voting with ticket queries or the [[TicketQuery()]] macro.
 As a result, I went to go add a report and couldn't find a way to do so.  I
then looked at trac.ini to see what was going on and discovered that reports are
completely disabled.

I remember someone saying back in the 0.10 days that Trac reports are going away
and we should be using the ticket query system instead, but I'm wondering if
this was the only justification for turning them off?  It seems to me that
they'd be much more useful than having to bookmark pages resulting from the
ticket query system or making a ton of wiki pages with nothing but
[[TicketQuery(foo)]] on them.  Reports are also still present in the
in-development Trac 0.12, and I don't see a reason for them to go away any time
soon.  There is also the advantage that reports update immediately to reflect
changes in tickets instead of just italicizing changed tickets in ticket query
results (which irritates me to no end).

So, obviously I'd like to turn reports back on soonish (preferably this week
while I'm still on vacation to have time to create reports and tweak them to be
useful to myself and others who want to look at tickets).  Any objections?

John