Privacy Rewrite GSoC Project

Sulabh Mahajan sulabh.dev at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 03:17:47 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

A slight modification to what Ethan suggested, I propose the following GUI
structure:

[   ] Allow all users

[   ] Block messages from all users not on my buddy list

[   ] Block {chat invitations, subscription requests, etc.} from all users
not on my buddy list
      (doesn't include friendship requests and presence notifications)

[ *** ] Custom
> Contacts
> All Others

> Show offline to people not on list

The last two options fully expanded as:

[ ** *] Custom
V Contacts
|    Buddy name    |    Account    | Block | Block Chat  | Invisible | Block
File Transfer | Block conference | ... |
+------------------------+-------------------+---------+------------------+-------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+----+
| Ethan Blanton     | abcd at gmail |    X    |        X         |
|                              |             X            |     |
| Sulabh Mahajan  | xyz at yahoo  |          |        X         |      X
|                              |             X            |     |
| Richard Stallman | pqrs at msn   |          |                    |      X
|              X             |                           |     |
+-------------------------+-------------------+--------+-------------------+-------------+---------------------------+--------------------------+----+
V All Others
+------------------+---------+------------------+-------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+----+
| abcd at gmail |    X    |        X         |      X
|                              |             X            |    |
| xyz at yahoo  |          |        X         |
|                              |             X            |    |
| pqrs at msn   |          |                    |      X      |              X

V Show offline to people not on the list
|    Account   | Show offline |
| abcd at gmail |        X        |
| xyz at yahoo  |        X        |
| pqrs at msn   |                   |